AW: Using remote announce w/ security=domain

Richard Kail e8903122 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 16 14:30:44 GMT 1999

Hello !

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Gerald Carter wrote:

> > LMHOSTS is evil, because it has to be maintained on
> > all machines on your network.
>
> Actually, there is a way around this.  Consider the two files
>
> lmhosts.local----------------------
> aaa.bbb.ccc.54       ivy    #PRE
> #INCLUDE \\ivy\scripts\lmhosts

> lmhosts.server---------------------

> This way you only need to change the lmhosts file
> in \\ivy\scripts.

Hmhm. No question, this works, but this way, the IP-Adress of one server
is fixed. Do you know Mr. Murphy and his laws ?

"ring ring klick 'Richard, we want to move ivy from subnet A to subnet B
for some weeks because of some bricklaying(*).'".

Kind regards,

Richard

(*) I don't know if this is the right english word. But you know the
people making the dust which kills every fan in 30 Meters distance more or
less immediatly. *ggg*

------
The world is a jungle in general, and the networking game
contributes many animals. ---- David C. Plummer, RFC 826