Using remote announce w/ security=domain

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 16 00:05:16 GMT 1999

Many thanks to all who've responded!

Here's what we've done, which *seems* to be working quite nicely:

1.) Placed our machine in their subnet, a junker (Sparc 1, name anasazi)
running Samba 1.9.18p10. (will upgrade it someday soon) This machine is
the main browser for the DEMOGRAPHY workgroup in the remote subnet. It is
set to wins proxy = yes and wins server = (our main wins server).  The
Win9x machines in the remote subnet do not have any wins server set up.

2.) Set up our main server with a netbios aliases=BARROWS-SVR and
include=/usr/LOCAL/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L .  Put most of the information -
including security stuff and all shares - in the smb.conf.* files.

3.) Set remote announce=(anasazi's IP address)

4.) Set smb.conf.barrows-svr to map to guest = Bad User to allow unknown
people to use the shares as guest.

It appears as if, eventually, the remote subnet gets the whole local
browselist, not just the machines that are set to remote announce, which
puzzles me; otherwise, it seems to work well.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199