Using remote announce w/ security=domain

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Wed Apr 14 15:32:47 GMT 1999

> this is the correct solution.  use of remote announce not recommended
> (only heard of one situation on a LAN where it really had to be used).
>
> > > we'd really like to be able to set a remote browse master in various
> > > buildings around campus and thereby have Win9X machines running on their
> > > subnets see our domain. Is there any way to do this?
> >
> > In EACH subnet should be a WINS server.
>
> why??

Oops, I stand corrected.  Was thinking in NT terms, as theire can be a
"secondary WINS" server (similar to a BDC for load sharing).  All machines
no matter what the subnet thought should have their  TCP/IP settings
changed to point to the WINS server that DOES exist.

The browse masters on each subnet that DOES NOT have a wins server should
have a line saying "wins server = WINS_NETBIOS_NAME" where you replace
WINS_NETBIOS_NAME with the netbios name of the WINS server (NT or samba).

That way the browse masters will send their lists to the wins server.

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology