Using remote announce w/ security=domain

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Apr 13 23:55:16 GMT 1999

Greetings-

We've got a nice, stable 1.9.19-prealpha-based Samba domain here, and
wanted to sort of extend it to another building on campus. That is, we
want our main server to be available in browselists of machines on another
subnet.  So we set up a server on that subnet running samba (1.9.18) and
set the server here to

remote announce = <remote server IP>/<domainname>

At that point, our workgroup and server showed up in the network
neighborhoods; so far, so good. However, when users clicked on the
server's name, the machines gave an error message: "The network name could
not be found."

The solution seems to be to set the machines to use the
main server as the WINS server. That is, the clients see it fine when
they're set to use the WINS server in the main building. The problem is,
we'd really like to be able to set a remote browse master in various
buildings around campus and thereby have Win9X machines running on their
subnets see our domain. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance-
Andy