windows maintains a link to that share, even when the user logs out

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Apr 13 13:09:47 GMT 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Andy Bakun wrote:

> Microsoft engineers are completely bogus if they can't reproduce this.  I was
> working on a patch to samba to work around this by having smbd exit when it
> received a LOGOFF event... but this doesn't work because WinNT clients send
> the LOGOFF event and THEN update the profile,

correct.

have you tried the patch that was written by the same person that did the
"restrict anonymous" patch?  the solution is to refuse to allow the very
first anonymous IPC$ connection, and the clients then make an
authenticated IPC$ connection.  because _this_ is the first authenticated
connection, the [homes] connection is also properly authenticated,
therefore the internal processes in nt&95 get it sorted out.

part of the issue is that if resources are still open on a server, both
the client and the server still think that the user is logged on.  this is
deliberate and by design. and broken.

luke