NIS + Domain

Can Bican bican at metu.edu.tr
Fri Apr 9 20:22:17 GMT 1999

	So, the problem is this:
	How can one migrate a UNIX style passwd file to an smbpasswd file? This
seems like not a possible thing since I think there should be a
decryption somewhere.
	But I think I discovered something: Please correct me if I am wrong. If
you enable plain passwords in NT WS registry, and setup the samba server
for plain passwords and password synchronization, then WS's can use
shares with the existing UNIX passwords. But then the WS can't join to
the domain, probably because there is something wrong with changing its
machine password. I thought of two things: First is that the NT WS still
tries to send encrypted password for the machine password. Second is
that NT WS (or samba behalf of the NT WS) cannot change the password if
its entry is at the UNIX style passwd file. Which one should be the
right one?
	I am talking about 20,000 users. You can't give them all a new
password, nor you can wait for all of them to change their passwords to
fill up the empty fields in smbpasswd file.
	I wandered around the source for a short time, and did not observe
different treatment to machine passwords and user passwords, but I might
have missed...
	Any ideas?

--
Can Bican