Joining an NT domain using the command line?

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Apr 9 12:42:32 GMT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Matt Chapman wrote:

> Try cloning a PC which is already in the domain and then cloning its
> smbpasswd entry, so that the trust password is the same.
>
> There is nothing special about the process of "joining a domain"; it
> just involves a synchronisation of secrets.

Actually I was thinking about this the other day.  The advantages of being
able to join a domain from a command line is that I could rshd into an NT
box (I have a rshd on every nt client) and rejoin, exit, etc... as long as
the machine was on the network.  Very handy I think.

My idea was that you would simply have to duplicate the the RPC made
when one used the network control panel.  Sound right?

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )