How to add machine accounts?

Andre Anneck andre at anneck.de
Thu Apr 8 21:24:41 GMT 1999

Ok... I guess I didnt make myself clear enough.
I have the trailing $ at the machine-accounts name wich is the
username in the /etc/passwd...
but when I run smbpasswd it still complains about the account
would not be existend... ??!!!?!?...

Here is what I do:
1. Edit /etc/passwd, add the following line:
mypdc$:dummy:1001:1001:test:/dev/nul:/usr/sbin
2. Save /etc/passwd
3. Do at the prompt:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m mypdc

And I get this response:
User "mypdc$" was not found in system password file.

What am I missing????

> The users you add in /etc/passwd must be machine accounts. That is, if
> your machine is called dilbert, the account in /etc/passwd must be
> "dilbert$".
>
> Greg
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------- Greg
> Dickie Just A Guy* *from discreet (the logic is gone) Montreal (514)
> 954-7171 greg at discreet.com
>

> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Andre Anneck wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 3.1, Samba 2.0.3,
> >
> > When I try to add a machine account it always gives me
> > "bla <machine_name$> does not exist in system password file"
> > or something like this, sorry have my box not handy right now.
> >
> > I edited /etc/passwd
> > And inserted some testusers, referring to those people who already did
> > it...
> >
> > I try to add the account with
> > /smbpasswd -a -m <machine_name>
> >
> > I have read several mails in the archive that claim that it would be as
> > easy as that. Addin a line in /etc/passwd, then using smbpasswd with
> > options a, m.
> >
> > I think I missed something so obvious I cant see it... please open my
> > eyes... I would like to have the Samba Box to be my PDC... *sniff*.
> >

> > The UORMSS - Source Net
> > http://www.anneck.de/rmss
> > ICQ# 1339921 | Home: http://anneck.de

The UORMSS - Source Net