How to add machine accounts?

Andre Anneck andre at anneck.de
Thu Apr 8 05:26:58 GMT 1999

Hi there,

I am running FreeBSD 3.1, Samba 2.0.3,

When I try to add a machine account it always gives me
"bla <machine_name$> does not exist in system password file"
or something like this, sorry have my box not handy right now.

I edited /etc/passwd
And inserted some testusers, referring to those people who already
did it...

I try to add the account with
./smbpasswd -a -m <machine_name>

I have read several mails in the archive that claim that it would be
as easy as that. Addin a line in /etc/passwd, then using
smbpasswd with options a, m.

I think I missed something so obvious I cant see it... please open
my eyes... I would like to have the Samba Box to be my PDC...
*sniff*.

The UORMSS - Source Net
http://www.anneck.de/rmss