site poll.

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Mon Apr 5 21:44:50 GMT 1999

> occasionally i feel like i and other people would like to know how samba
> is being used.  if you feel so inclined, could people kindly let us know
> some of the things below (pick one or more or all), such as:
>
> - a brief description of your organisation.

Educational Institution  (College)

> - what you use samba for (e.g as file servers; login servers; backup
> purposes or remote admin with smbclient or rpcclient).

File print, and login servers. Currently have about 10 or more samba
servers, with upwards of probably 100 gigs of combined storage space.

> - what version(s) of samba you are using.  if using a version from cvs
> please include date and tag.

1.9.18p10 on most machines.  Will waiting a bit before jumping to the
2.0/2.1 tress, as 1.9.18 has been  so stable.

> - what server(s), including the specification (OS, ram, hdd, network,
> rough estimate of mb/s throughput at peak load would be excellent if you
> can get it)

Most servers are Ppro/PII 200 or faster.  The current fastest samba server
is a Dell 2300 with PII 450, 256Megs rams, and  30-50 gigs of RAID space.
with dual 100Mbit ethercards in it. Currently its not being pushed too
hard.  During tests though it can saturate the 100Mbit lan connection.

> - how many users and in what database (private/smbpasswd; LDAP; MYSQL) and
> how many simultaneous users.

tough to say, as we use a lot of "generic" users for public access
workstations, but there always 50-200 simultaneous connections running
(each user might get up to 15 drives).

> - what sort of hosts connect to your servers.

Win95 mostly, some winNT. (though they can sometimes act strangely..)

Dave J. Andruczyk
Instructional Support Associate
Department of Technology
Buffalo State College