Browseing can't find the master??

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at www.buffalostate.edu
Wed Sep 30 13:40:16 GMT 1998

Pardon this long message..

One of my machines (samba1.9.18p10) can't ever to figure out the masters
for the workgroups..
	IT is acting as domain master, logon server, preferree master,
with an os level of 33.  there is an NT WINS server on this subnet, and it
is setup in smb.conf to point to it (wins server = 136.183.138.11)
it doesn't seem to find the masters of workgroups where the master is on a
different subnetwork.  Is there anything that can be done to fix this??

There are samba servers on both "sides" of your lan, and at least two of
them have dual ethernet on BOTH sides.  The machines that are on BOTH
sides, have a mostly complete browse list.

	We also have NT servers on their own domain,  (they also runs the
WINS boxes), they always have a "more complete" browse list, with more
workgroups, than mine.  Why can't samba see the other workgroups??
- these machiens have not had samba restarted in several weeks and thus
I'd assume the browse lists on them are "stable". (restarting and wiating
several hours never increased the number of hosts in the list.)

This is from the machine on ONE side, acting as a domain controller
This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        BL-TEST
        BSCLOGON             LOGSRVB
        BSCPRINTERS          PRINTSRVR1
        BUTLER-LIBRARY       BARMAID
        FINMGT
        MYGROUP
        PUBLICSAFETY
        TECH-DEPT            TECH
        WORKGROUP

this is from the machine on BOTH sides. (two ethernet cards)

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        BL-TEST              BARTENDER
        BSCLOGON             LOGSRVA
        BSCPRINTERS          PRINTSRVR1
        BUTLER-LIBRARY       BARMAID
        FINMGT               MOCSRV
        MYGROUP              PROFPLUM
        PUBLICSAFETY         PUBSAFE1
        TECH-DEPT            UHP144
        WORKGROUP            ICP006

And the NT PDC for a different domain has:
This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        BL-TEST              BARTENDER