Profiles - Double checking

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Sep 27 15:46:02 GMT 1998

Nope, the logon path is \\population\ntprofile\.ntprofile

Heres the big-picture setup:
- 2 Samba servers, both running NTDom under Solaris 2.6.
- 1 (BOSERUP) is the PDC and handles logins, validation, etc.
- 1 (POPULATION) is not a PDC; it serves home directories, profiles,
     etc., and is the WINS server. - Users' home directories are shared by
Samba under [homes]; each user has a subdirectory of the home directory,
~/ntprofile/.ntprofile (the two-level system was based on somebody's
recommendation from the list a while ago).  The [netlogon] share points at
this location by using %U/ntprofile as its path.

Upon login, BOSERUP validates the user and runs the logon script; it then
passes off to POPULATION to load the profile and home shares.  POPULATION
ends up being the machine users know about.

Hope this helps -- or that someone tells me I'm doing something horribly
wrong.  It seems to me like I've avoided the [homes]/profiles problem by
setting up two different shares, right?

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199