smbpasswd file

Yaroslav Halchinsky uccr at mail.kar.net
Sat Sep 26 09:02:57 GMT 1998

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Yaroslav Halchinsky wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Can anyone explain me why does smbpasswd program creat two
> > identical password hashes in smbpasswd file. I.e instead of NT one it
> > puts LAN MAN password and 'defaulting to LAN MAN password' msgs appear
> > in log file.
>
> The hashes are not supposed to be indentical (mine aren't at least).
> The first is the LanMan hash and the second is the NT hash.  Probably
> didn't anser you questions too well.   Sorry,
fact is when I add workstation to domain using "smbpasswd -am wkst_name"
strange things happen. For some workstations hashes are different and
for others -
identical, when I remove (comment out) such entry in smbpasswd file and
readd
workstation to domain all seems to be right. You ideas?

Regards,
Yaroslav Halchinsky