smbpasswd file

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Sep 25 13:05:39 GMT 1998

Yaroslav Halchinsky wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can anyone explain me why does smbpasswd program creat two
> identical password hashes in smbpasswd file. I.e instead of NT one it
> puts LAN MAN password and 'defaulting to LAN MAN password' msgs appear
> in log file.

The hashes are not supposed to be indentical (mine aren't at least).
The first is the LanMan hash and the second is the NT hash.  Probably
didn't anser you questions too well.   Sorry,

> BTW, is it neccessary to put a LCT-... string at the end of line?
> Why do numbers there represent current time (second since epoch)?
> adding users with script caused these numbers to be identical until
> 'sleep 1' was put

This is the time since that last passwd change.  Ebentually
will be used to support password aging.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )