will this play with the samba project?

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Sep 22 16:49:27 GMT 1998

Overbey, Alfred D (Dudley), ALTEC wrote:

>                 The new technology - code named "Project Cascade" - allows
> Solaris servers, of either the Intel or SPARC platforms, to provide native
> Windows NT network services such as naming, authentication, file, and print
> sharing.  Note that the servers are still running Solaris, the Sun variety
> of UNIX, and are running Windows NT services on top of it, through the
> facility of the new software.  According to Sun, no special Client software
> is needed, as clients can access the server as they would a regular Windows
> NT server, and it is transparent to users.
>                 The Project Cascade software, which is compatible with the
> network features in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3, includes the Windows NT
> Directory Service, security and authentication, and the Windows NT File
> System (NTFS).
>                 Pricing and availability for this software will be announced
> in the first quarter of 1999.

This is just Suns announcement that they will be porting
an officially dead product, AT&T's Advanced Server for UNIX,
to Solaris in about 6 months. Other UNIX vendors have been
selling the same product for over 3 years and yes it does work
with Samba.

With this announcement they managed to make a press splash,
get coverage in all the trade press etc.

I stand in awe of their marketing department. :-) :-).

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.