Problem with on of my boxes..

Gerald Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sat Sep 19 19:09:13 GMT 1998

At 01:50 PM 9/19/98 +1000, mathewss at nutech.com wrote:

> Is it possible to have smbd be a process that does
>not require fork() i dont know enough about the processing
>it has to do but i do know that the ircd code i work with
>all the time does an excellent job with large and small datagrams
>with many many many fd's and is a single process. this makes
>debuging a lot easier.. i duno just seems that under heavy load
>eventualy the samba server on say a 200+ user network might get a bit
>insane on the processes and again its realy hard for me to debug
>this stuff. How do you all manage to do it? I want to find this bug
>with the get_rpc_pipe but umm as i see it its not going to be easy
>to catch it..

Nope. smbd has to fork.

use smbstatus to find the process id of the connection you
want to debug and then attach gdb to the process.  Set a
breakpoint at the place where the error message is written
and the work up the call stack from there

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )