nmbd fork-bombed my server

Michael Hinz michael at fagmed.uit.no
Wed Sep 16 21:08:25 GMT 1998

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Mike Black wrote:
> >
> > I trace this down to the ASYNC_DNS.  Didn't test commenting it out but I'll
> > bet that will solve the problem.  I noticed a new nmbd running for every DNS
> > request and reported it to the bug list.
> >

> Well Andrew also added code that causes nmbd to fork when
> writing out a WINS database and also when doing a browse
> synchronisation.
>
> When nmbd fork-bombs you are these processes in the zombie
> state or are they still flagged as running ?

In my last crash I was able to smuggle in a ps. As this reported 2-3 minutes
CPU time for each of them, and real memory used, they're definitely not
zombies.

> If they're zombies then we need to look at the
> CatchChild() code in lib/signal.c.

Sounds more like a catch 22 to me. I disabled remote syncing for the time
being, hopeing it solves the fork-bomb problem. I also hope it doesn't break
anything in my setup (three segments with a mixed population of Win95 and NT).

> Cheers,
>
> 	Jeremy Allison,
> 	Samba Team.
>
> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

Michael
--
     Michael Hinz                    http://www.farmasi.uit.no/~michael/
     EDB-konsulent   +47 7764 6482   michael at farmasi.uit.no
     Institutt for Farmasi, Medisinsk Fakultet
9037 Universitetet i Tromsø          http://www.farmasi.uit.no/