NT server security problems and questions

Heiko Nardmann h.nardmann at secunet.de
Wed Sep 16 09:42:04 GMT 1998

Joao Carvalho wrote:

> > I set 'password server = 10.151.4.11' which is the IP of our NT server.
>
> nope it is supost to be
>
> password server = <netbios name>
>
> in my case
>
> password server = naomi
>
> i am using this sinse the beginning without problemas
>
> all users are exported using NIS and samba .

As you see from the output given in log.smb the server is contacted.
So this is not the problem.
It has to be something with my setup.

Any chance that you may send me your smb.conf?

Questions:
Are the unix passwords identical to the domain passwords in your system?
Are the usernames identical?
How did you setup the passwords in smbpasswd? I tried to set them being
root as trying this a a normal user resulted in the following error
message:

sn-pc133:nardmann[local]>smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup. Error was :
ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect
or Session Setup are invalid.).

So I have to do this as root to succeed in changing the passwords.
Beside this problem the NT server does reject the session again.

Which samba version do you use?

[...]
> > [global]
> >    security = server
> >    password server = 10.151.4.11
[...]
> > In the meantime I do a 'tail -f /var/log/log.smb'.
> > After starting 'smbclient -L sn-pc133 -U nardmann' but before
> > typing in the password I already get the following output from the tail
> > command:
> >
> > 10.151.4.11 rejected the session
> > password server  is not connected
> >
> > So the NT server just rejects my samba server.
> > This is currently my main problem.

[...]

--
Ciao ... Heiko Nardmann