users can create in /temp, but not delete

Gerald Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sun Oct 18 00:48:51 GMT 1998

At 09:11 AM 10/18/98 +1000, MATHOG at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu wrote:
>Domain users can create files in C:\TEMP, but cannot delete them.

What are the permissions on c:\temp?

>An attempt to grab ownership of such a file (from an domain account served
>from the Samba 1.9.19 server) was a VERY bad idea.  It blew the desktop
>away and jammed the "properties -> security" window which was open. The
>only way out was ctrl-alt-del and logout.

Yup.  It's being worked.  I think it will have to do with the
lsalookupname() and lsalookupsid() functionality.

>I don't know if this is related, but in the event viewer, all of the
>users from the domain just show up as numbers.  It would be nice if they
>came up as "DOMAIN\joe_user", but the number is better than nothing.

Same deal as the previous comment.

>One unrelated question. If you move a bunch of NT workstations from one
>Samba domain controller to another, should you set the MACHINE SID's of the
>two controllers to be the same?  If you don't, will the NT workstations
>refuse to be logged in from the new Samba controller?  I ask, because
>that's what I see when I try to move mine, and I recall that there was
>something like this for NT Server running as a domain controller.

In essence, then you just want to replace the domain controller.
If you use the same SID for two domains, they will functionaly
be the same.  It's not just the SID, put the machine trust
accounts as well that matter.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter