help please! cant login from NT onto samba domain

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Oct 14 15:29:59 GMT 1998

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Amol Karnik wrote:

> well question 2.3 from the NTDOM FAQ says that there should be a
> password after, with the password being the machine name in lowercase.

Correct, but Q2.2 describes how to add the machines account.  the -m flag
in smbpasswd will append a '$' character to the name and set the initial
passwd to "machine_name" for you.

> whats the "Wksta trust account BOSS$ denied by server" mean?

The Workstation truct account is basically a user account for the machine.
It's how the machine 'logs in to the domain" so that user's can log in.

There have been some more posts on this problem.  We'll try to work
something out soon.  However, most of the team is in San Jose at a interop
conference at the moment.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )