Profiles

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Oct 8 12:00:33 GMT 1998

James Thompson wrote:

> ....I created a profile and profile.pds in my home dir.
> This stopped the cannont create dir error on the NT client
> but now it claims roving profiles are not available and a
> local copy will be used instead.
>
> [global]
>    logon path = \\noether\Profiles\%U\profile
>
> [Profiles]
>     path = /usr/local/samba.nt/samba/profiles
>     browseable = yes
>     guest ok = yes

This should be 'no'

>     writable = yes

This has to be 'yes' so that the user can update their profile.
If you don't want to allow them to change things, look into
mandatory profiles.

>     case sensitive = no
>     preserve case = yes

One thing I am noticing, and someone may correct me on this,
but I don't think that NT will create a profile directory more
than one level deep.  What I mean is that if you have the
following

	[global]
		logon path = \\%L\profile\%U

	[profile]
		path = /export/smb/profile

Then NT will send a create request to make
/export/smb/profile/%U.  But if the

		logon path = \\%L\profile\%U\profile

and \\%L\profile\%U does not exist, then it will not
make the profile directory because it is 2 levels deep.
Try creating this directory using a root prexec script
or something and see if that doesn't help.  Of course
if the directory does exist and your having problems,
then my comments are useless :)

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter