Directory permission

Greg Mitchell greg.mitchell at sdrc.com
Tue Oct 6 15:50:58 GMT 1998

Samba-NT,

I am using samba-1.9.18p10 and I am having difficulty with setting up password protection.  I would like to use Samba as a simple file server for file sharing and backups.  I was wanting to make the smb.conf read only and just manage the passwords manually.  The users do not know Unix or want to deal with a separate password utility.  I would like to make the top level directory readable to all and have some level of permissions below the top level, user and maybe group.  I have a user created with the passwd/user_name the same on both the PC and Unix.  Could someone be so kind as to show me the error of my ways.  Here is a smb.conf that I have been working with but it is not accessable to anyone.  Having "guest account = guest" is too open.

Thank you in advance,

Greg

[global]
	dns proxy = yes