Smbpasswd problem with NT Wst

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Oct 1 15:20:21 GMT 1998

Tom - my understanding of this is that the smbpasswd -a -m (machinename)
changes the entry back to the ORIGINAL password for that machine;
periodically, machines change their passwords with the PDC for security
reasons.  That's why re-joining the domain without re-smbpasswd'ing
doesn't work, and (I expect) why re-smbpasswd'ing without re-joining
doesn't work.

You might find it useful to read through the archives of this list; it
sounds like you're running into several problems others (including me!)
have run into before.

Best,
Andy Perrin

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199