frustrated and lost

Gerald Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Oct 1 01:29:25 GMT 1998

At 07:12 AM 10/1/98 +1000, Amol Karnik wrote:
>i was been totally unsucessful in doing so, and am frustrated now. there
>are a lot of doc files in the distribtion, but they keep on referring to
>each other, and now i'm lost.

Sorry 'bout that.

>i obtained the latest samba2.0prealpha cvs sources for the NTDOM Version
>of samba and compiled it on a sun runnning solaris2.5.1
>
>the docs said compile it with the -DNTDOMAIN flag ....but where ?

which docs?  The NTDOM FAQ seems to be the best place to start from.

>i added it to the Makefile in the sources dir in the CFLAGS line like
>this :
>CFLAGS=-g -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/dt/include -DNTDOMAIN
>
>i  hope this is correct, because it compiled anyways.

You should run './configure' and the 'make'.  Shouldn't need to
edit the Makefile at all.

>then i installed the samba binaries etc in /usr/local/samba. created a
>smb.conf file
>started the daemons manually.
>
>according to the ENCRYPTION.txt file, i created a smbpaswd file by doing
>ypcat passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
>
>and then changed the permission on the private dir and smpasswd file,
>and then enabled the line "encrypt passwords = yes"

OK.

>i'm not going to have a NT server in the network, only workstations. in
>fact right now ,i dont even have NT machine, but will get them next
>week, and i wanted to check that this worked. doesnt seem to do so from
>a sun using smbclient, and a win95 machine. both doesnt work, although
>if i do smbclient -L sambaservername i get a list of shares etc, but the
>user is "nobody". as myself, i cant use my unix password if i do
>smbclient -L blue -U amol i get :
>
>"Session setup failed for username=amol myname=BLUE destname=BLUE
>ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect
>or Session Setup are invalid.)"

Did you set the password for the account using smbpasswd?

>does anyone know if there is a single document on the web which explain
>how to set up samba as an NTdomain and password server, for idiots for
>me? i dont even know at this stage if what i've written makes sense or
>not...i'm lost. completely.

It makes sense.  Maybe I've been doing this too long ;)

>unfortuntely i cant find one single document which explain all the steps
>needs, clearly. this samba stuff seems to be meant for experienced
>NT/network admins.

Everything is changing so quickly it is hard to keep the docs
up to date.  It's a lot more fun to fix other things :)
I have some suggestions from people about updating the FAQ
and will try ot work on that tomorrow (famous last words).

BTW...the NTDOM FAQ is linked off the main samba page (and
mirrors)

	http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter