SAMLOGON weirdness

Michael Stockman pgmtekn at algonet.se
Wed Nov 25 22:22:48 GMT 1998

Hello,

I'm running several ("new") versions of the server, so don't ask
which. However it seems that W95 at a number of times logs on a user
"Administrator" to the samba machine via a SAMLOGON. However I didn't
(until today) have a user administrator, which caused some calls to
fail, either because the user wasn't in the smbpasswd file or because
it wasn't in the passwd file. What I did have was a mapping to "root"
(well, got to use some user) in the username map. This must have been
ignored, or my map file was wrong (less likely as I could use
"administrator" to log in with the root password). Thus I must ask
wheter if you are obliged to have a user administrator on you system
(difficult to add), SAMLOGON should pay more attention to username map
or "administrator" should be hard coded into samba (perhaps not so
nice?)?

Best regards
  Michael Stockman
  pgmtekn-micke at algonet.se