unix password sync

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Fri Nov 20 13:01:41 GMT 1998

Hello!
Just some small hints:

> I cannot change a user's samba password from a Windows NT 4.0 SP3 client
>
> when "unix password sync = True".  Any ideas what/where I screwed
> up?
Can you change your both passwords in sync with smbpasswd form unix?

> - Samba version 2.0.0 beta 1 on a RedHat5.1(SuSE5.3 too)
Are you using PAM. PAM can have very strict rules about neu (unix)
passwords. E.g. Changeing between to passwords as a test doesn't
work. And you don't get the PAM-Massages through samba. Try really
different, really good passswords.

> - global section of the smb.conf contains, amongst other things, :
>
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         unix password sync = true
>         passwd chat debug = True
You need debug level = 100 to take this effekt. You should see your
passwd chat in the logs then.

>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *New*password:* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password:* %n\n
Isn't here missing something, that reflects the sucessfull change?
I use: passwd chat =  *New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n
                                           *updated\ssuccessfully*

Hope this helps a bit

Christian

  Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Christian Barth

  Universitaet Kaiserslautern
  Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungstechnik und Betriebsorganisation
  Abteilung Fertigungstechnologie
  Raum 42/472

  Postfach 3049
  67655 Kaiserslautern