samba PDC and Novell IntranetWare Client

Dan Ardelean dany at banat.ro
Mon Nov 16 19:28:05 GMT 1998

I have a problem:
With Samba 2.0.0 pre-alpha running on my Linux box.
Samba is configured to run with "domain logons = yes" so it should act like a PDC.
It really does - and i had no problem to login to my Samba domain from a normal NT workstation.
The problem is that I have also a Novell Server on my network so I want to use the Novell Client for Windows NT
After installing the Novell Client if I try to login to the Samba domain I get the dead blue screen telling me that
"Windows Logon Process Terminated Unexpectendly ... System Shutdown".
But in the same conditions in I try to login to a domain which has a PDC running Windows NT Server ( not Samba ) it works.
So, I think Samba does not behave exactlt like a Windows NT Server PDC.
I did some search on the earlier messages in this list ( i'm kind of new here ... ) and what I found was:

>Date:   Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:01:57 +0200 (GMT)
>From:   louis.botha at cs.up.ac.za
>Subject: Novell IntraNetware Client & PDC crashes
>To:     samba-ntdom at samba.anu.edu.au

>Hello all,

>We are in the unfortunate position that we are forced to use the
>IntraNetware client from Novell. Don't ask why - it's a long story :)

>The client behaves rather strangely. From the samba logs it seems that
>when a user logs into the domain, the authentication works, the user
>registry is read and the files in the profile directories are read.
>The client then tries to execute an illegal instruction and the entire
>NT box crashes. Oh joy.

>The client does not crash when I connect to a real NT PDC. If I
>uninstall the Intranetware client, I can log in successfully using a
>Samba PDC.

>Does anyone have any idea why this might happen when I switch to a
>Samba PDC?

>Regards,
>Louis

>--
>Louis Botha                                Computer Science Department
>louis.botha at cs.up.ac.za                    University of Pretoria
>Tel: +27-12-420-3617                       Pretoria
>Cell: +27-82-924-4616                      South Africa
>http://www.cs.up.ac.za/~lbotha

>Date:   Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:21:09 -0500
>From:   Dana Canfield <canfield at uindy.edu>
>To:     louis.botha at cs.up.ac.za, samba-ntdom at samba.anu.edu.au
>Subject: Re: Novell IntraNetware Client & PDC crashes

>I can't offer any help, but I can confirm that we have the same problem.
>It is important to note that the Intranetware client *did* work back in the
>May-ish CVS's, so something has changed in Samba. Jeremy has asked me for
>a packet trace, but I don't have the right tools to do this from a thrid
>machine, and I can't figure out how to do a packet trace from the client
>machine, since it is the one that will crash. Maybe if you have a way of
>doing this, you could send a trace to jeremy and they can fix it?

>Dana

So it seems that some other people experienced the same problem.
Did you find any answears ?

Thanks,
Dan