NT password problem

Dave Airlie airlied at skynet.csn.ul.ie
Wed Nov 11 16:08:38 GMT 1998

Just as a point I recently upgraded an old sun server here from samba
1.9.16p11 I think to a similiar 1.9.18p8 and with the old one I only had
to enter my password once and with the new one it was multiple times ..

Anyways this question is better off on the smba main list I think than
here ... which is for NTdomain controller stuff mainly ..

Dave.

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Dave Kirkby wrote:

> I have an old Sun IPC unix workstation at home, running the latest
> release of Solaris (version 2.6) and Samba version 1_9_18p8. This is
> connected to a network of two computers - the Sun workstation and a PC
> running NT4, with service pack 3. I've altered the registry on the NT
> machine to allow plain passwords to be sent over the network, as
> detailed in one of the Samba documents. Security is no issue for me -
> the two machines are in my home, and the data is not confidential.  I've
> mapped a few directories on the sun (root directory, the cdrom, my home
> directory), to drive letters on the NT machine.
>
> The problem I have is that each time I log onto the NT machine, I need
> to type the unix machines passwords several times (one for each
> directory shared). This gets a bit tedious, although it works fine. What
> is simplest way that I can get access to the files on the Sun, without
> typing in the password many times.  I have looked at files detailing how
> to set up encrypted passwords, but can't seem to see if this is what I
> need to do.
>
> I have tried creating a user on the NT box with the username of 'root'
> and the same password as root on the Sun, but this don't work. (I
> suspect this is due to the different encryption algorithms), but I
> really don't know how to proceed.
>
> Any ideas ??
>
> Dave Kirkby.

------------ David Airlie, David.Airlie at ul.ie,airlied at skynet --------
Telecommunications Research Centre, ECE Dept, University of Limerick \
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied	-- Telecommunications Researcher      \