NT Domain questions

Peter Duff peter at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Nov 11 01:59:49 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a samba box as a PDC using release 2.0.0a13.
It seems to work pretty great, I can make machines join the domain and
users can
log in and have home directories mounted, profiles being updated and so on.
The problem I am having, however, is that I cannot get password changing
from NT
Workstations (tried both SP1 and SP3) to work!

I get the following unhelpful error message from the Nt Workstation:
"Unable to change the password for this account (C0000253). Please consult
your systems administrator"

The samba logs have the following entry (log level 2) in the
log.<clientname>
[1998/11/11 09:36:36, 0] rpc_server/srv_util.c:api_pipe_request(560)
  api_pipe_request: **** MUST CALL become_user() HERE ****

I compiled samba with the -DNTDOMAIN and -DALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD options
and I am using encrypted passwords.
I have tried using the unix password sync options but this does not
seem to change the error message that the NT workstation spits out.
Perhaps I am doing something wrong in smb.conf, so does anybody have
like a 'model' config for a pdc scenario that allows password changing?

One another point: I figured I might try the latest release from cvs
(2.0.0a15 I think)
to see if it fixed these problems, but i cannot even configure it! I am
using
FreeBSD 3.0 (and have also tried freebsd 2.2.7).  The magic configure
script
fails when doing the statfs check and seems to be related to the
HAVE_SYS_PARAM #define.
I know these comments are pretty vague and so I can send anyone my log
files if you need.

Keep up the cool work guys!

Regards,

Peter Duff