NT4SP4

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Nov 10 20:08:02 GMT 1998

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Paul Leach wrote:

> When did the problem creep in?

well i've been assisted by someone on this list who has been sending me
bug reports against nt4sp4 rc1.43 and then rc1.99, and then against the
final release.

summary of issues found:

sp4 rc1.43:

- client-side dce/rpc code in sp4 rc1.43 failed to work against a samba
server.  this showed up as, for example, failure of sp4 to browse a samba
server.

investigation showed that we were replying with the rpc fragment 16 bytes
short (the size of the rpc header).  adding 16 fixed this

- server-side dce/rpc code was fine.

sp4 rc1.99

- server-side dce/rpc code in sp4 rc1.99 failed to work against samba
client code.  this showed up as failure of samba "security = domain" mode,
and rpcclient breaking.

investigation showed that the queries sent by samba client-side dce/rpc
code had rpc fragment lengths 16 bytes short.

sp4 final release

- domain logons failed sp4 client against a samba PDC.  sp4 clients were
sending flags 0x4000 01ff in NetAuth2 requests.  the code pre oct 22
returned exactly the same flags, which caused the sp4 client to think it
was talking to a sp4 server.  we now return 0x0000 01ff and the sp4 domain
clients are happy.

nt5 beta2

- unicode strings have headers and buffers.  we had an off-by-one bug that
all versions of nt except nt5 beta2 do not catch.  nt5 beta2 returns a
dce/rpc "fault" message if the header length does not match absolutely
exactly with the buffer size.

> We test against Samba here, and our testers
> tell me they tested against SP4. We also tested against it at the CIFS
> workshop with SP4 and NT5, without this kind of obvious problem (that I
> heard of).

i had fixed the rc1.44 and rc1.99 issues by then.  i had not made any
calls of the kind that failed (or if i did, i had not paid much attention
to it).  i also hadn't got one of the NT4 SP4 machines to join a samba
domain, so the NetAuth2 issue wasn't found.

to summarise, my observations (through mistakes in my rpc code!) so far
basically show that the nt dce/rpc code is improving in its quality and
robustness.

luke