Admin equiv creates root owned files

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Fri May 29 16:22:24 GMT 1998

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > I read this, but disagree with how it should work.
>
> as I said, it isn't a very useful option.
>
> > Is the ONLY thing it does is FILE permissions?
>
> almost. It also sets a silly flag so when the client asks for login
> info it display "admin user". pointless really.
>
> >  Are there other "domain" things that might pop up in the future?
>
> not if we remove the option :)

Well I know of some sites that use it, unfortunately.

It does do exactly what the man page says, so it isn't
really in error.

Maybe we should mark it 'deprecated' and 'to be removed'
and add a warning for it in testparm and wait a couple
of releases before we just hack it out.

Ah, backwards compatibility, both Microsoft & Samba
wish it didn't exist :-).

Jeremy.