User level share on clients

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu May 28 14:31:23 GMT 1998

Martha Peter wrote:

> I've created a samba PDC, and it works fine except... On the clints i
> cannot create shares for users. I mean when i try to create a share i
> try to specify which uses can access that share, but the windowsNT WS
> cannot get the user list from the samba server. The error: client
> can't access users' list in domain SAMBA now, try again later (or
> something like that) I'd be glad if somebody can help me out.

You are correct.  Samba does not currently support the bropwsing of user
accounts in the domain.  Therefore all shares you create will have the
permission set to "Everyone (all)".  The only security you will have is
the security of the file system (ie. don't use FAT ).  Same problem as
using Windows 95 user-level security.

It's low priority at the moment.

Hope this helps,
j-