Mixed profiles w/Samba-PDC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed May 27 15:56:59 GMT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > jeremy would say (if he was awake right now and reading your message)
> > that we have to provide backwards-compatibility support as we have
> > real users out there already.
> >
> > i would say, "not until 1.9.19alpha1.  until then, i welcome
> > opportunities to change things for the better despite inconvenience to
> > pre-alpha users: i really, really hate backwards-compatibility
> > limitations and _like_ taking the rap".
>
> Fair enough.  I knew the risk when I signed on.  How bout a least a
> warning before so I can just delete old user profiles.  Probably a good
> thing.  I need to move them anyway to a new disk.  At least this way I
> don't have to worry about copying them over.

hm.  let me think.

the profiles are stored by name.  does anyone know if they contain the RID
or not?  what i'm wondering is, will it actually make any difference to
the profile itself, but only confuses the workstation for a bit while the
RID changes.

hm.

worthwhile testing by changing one user's unix and nt user id...