Bad machine accounts

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu May 21 17:47:49 GMT 1998

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Andrew Perrin - Demography wrote:

> Well, this morning I did a cvs update and now the machine logs in okay --
> but something else broke, and since I now have a level 100 debug log I'll
> let y'all know anyway.  There are three issues currently unresolved, all
> of which should show up in this log:
>
> 1.) the "detected a slow network connection" dialog on login, asking if
> the user wants to download the profile or use a local one:

this will happen when log levels are high.  will go away if you run at log
level 1.  don't worry about it.

> 2.) Can't connect to *any* shares on the PDC except those set guest only
> -- all others get invalid password errors.  Until today, it worked fine to
> connect to a share on another Samba server in the domain with security =
> server

use "security = domain".  add the other samba server to the domain just as
if it was an nt workstation (smbpasswd -a -m other_samba_server's_name).

> and password server = <samba_pdc name>.  HOWEVER,
>
> 3.) Today's new issue is that the scheme above doesn't work quite right
> anymore.  I can no longer browse the machine above, a Samba server but
> not a PDC, running 1.9.18p7 with security=server and password server =
> (our Samba PDC server).  Browsing gets "access denied" but mounting works
> fine using NET USE.

send us sone smb.conf files to the list: let's have a look.