Update: Machine accounts invalid

Kevin Currie x7currie at lab2.cc.wmich.edu
Wed May 20 20:13:13 GMT 1998

Okay, here is what is going on.  This must have changed in the newer code,
because what I was doing worked before.  I can only connect to the domain
when I use a "change domain" from control panel/network.  And, I can only
do this immediately after I reset the machine account's password with a
	"smbpasswd -m machine_name machine_name"
Here after everything works fine until the machine is moved to a different
domain or (this is the big problem) I rebuild the machine (either from
scratch or using imaging software).  Once this is done, I have to reset
the password again.  Is this supposed to happen like this?  The reason I
ask is because I used to be able to rebuild the machines and change the
netbios names without having to rejoin the domain and everything would
work nicely.  This is also a problem for me because I don't have root
access on the samba PDC to reset a machine account every time I rebuild a
machine.  (I have a linux box that I do all debugging on, then contact my
unix sysadmin with solutions).

Kevin Currie