does smbpasswd -r <host> need conf file?

Michael Egan dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Wed May 20 11:55:28 GMT 1998

I seem to recall that Hobbit and Mudge (spelling?) discussed that the NT
passwors do not use a salt. Another shortcomming.
If you set your password to be DOG on one domain, not only withh the
first half of the encrypted version be the same on all the domains, but
the last half will always start with CA CA (hex) since it is nulled, and
the password tpyed is split and each split half is passed separately....
check out hsi paper on the passwords...