Initial testing

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri May 15 11:27:46 GMT 1998

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Mike Black wrote:

> 98/05/14 - Got the latest CVS tree [Samba 1.9.19-prealpha] -- just a few
> changes to the smb.conf file and I can now see a new domain created.  I can
> browse to it and connect to the shares just fine.
>
> However, trying to change an NT workstation to the new domain is not passing
> the password validation.
>
> Machine is "HOLLAND".  I added "HOLLAND$" to /etc/passwd and did
> "smbpasswd -a HOLLAND$ holland" according to the docs.  But, the trust

smbpasswd -a -m holland$

> account fails during the domain name change:
>
> I got a lot of errors during "smbpasswd" and during the domain change about:
>
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (no : after uid)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
> getsmbpwent: returning passwd entry for user HOLLAND$, uid 2000
> smb_password_ok: Checking SMB password for user HOLLAND$
> smb_password_ok: Checking NT MD4 password
> smb_password_ok: NT MD4 password check failed
> Checking LM MD4 password
> smb_password_ok: LM MD4 password check failed
> session_trust_account: Trust Account HOLLAND$ - password failed
>
> My passwd entry looks like:
> HOLLAND$:8ApCAEEUAML2Y:2000:105:Don Holland::/bin/true
>
> And the resultant smbpasswd like:
> HOLLAND$:2000:32D2A6922D8E51ADAAD3B435B51404EE:C74E64C545603C8081B7502B42B41
> 87E:[U]:LCT-355B00C4:

the above command (without the -m) has put [U] for user, not [W] for
workstation: this is a crucial difference.  edit your smbpasswd file by
hand: change the [U] - ACB_NORMAL to [W] - ACB_WKSTRUST.

oh, and re-join the domain because your credentials for HOLLAND may have
got out of sync.