Initial testing

Mike Black mblack at csihq.com
Thu May 14 15:26:10 GMT 1998

98/05/14 - Got the latest CVS tree [Samba 1.9.19-prealpha] -- just a few
changes to the smb.conf file and I can now see a new domain created.  I can
browse to it and connect to the shares just fine.

However, trying to change an NT workstation to the new domain is not passing
the password validation.

Machine is "HOLLAND".  I added "HOLLAND$" to /etc/passwd and did
"smbpasswd -a HOLLAND$ holland" according to the docs.  But, the trust
account fails during the domain name change:

I got a lot of errors during "smbpasswd" and during the domain change about:

getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (no : after uid)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: malformed password entry (uid not number)
getsmbpwent: returning passwd entry for user HOLLAND$, uid 2000
smb_password_ok: Checking SMB password for user HOLLAND$
smb_password_ok: Checking NT MD4 password
smb_password_ok: NT MD4 password check failed
Checking LM MD4 password
smb_password_ok: LM MD4 password check failed
session_trust_account: Trust Account HOLLAND$ - password failed

My passwd entry looks like:
HOLLAND$:8ApCAEEUAML2Y:2000:105:Don Holland::/bin/true

And the resultant smbpasswd like:
HOLLAND$:2000:32D2A6922D8E51ADAAD3B435B51404EE:C74E64C545603C8081B7502B42B41
87E:[U]:LCT-355B00C4:

Suggestions?