password API needed

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed May 13 16:18:50 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> These are all stuff which decides policy. Policy is most easily
> implemented using inheritance. (Administrator doesn't have to do
> anything explicit to maintain a constant policy.) What I think is
> needed is a hierarchical database much like LDAP.

Excellent idea.  I fully agree with the notion of a central policy to
fallback on ( sounds like I'm contradicting myself from
yesterday...perhaps I am ).  If this contains minimal performance hits
for large sites, I think it's the way to go.

> However, LDAP does have the problem of non-standard ACL support and no
> transactional support. Those two problems will be fixed.

Hmmm...These are a big problem.  How do you propose to fix it?

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )