Problems doing update

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Wed May 13 06:50:58 GMT 1998

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> - are you running it as ./nmbd instead of just nmbd
> - did you do a make; make install; /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd;
> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd?
> - other

Yes, it was this basic.  I had made a hard link from /usr/local/bin when
I thought I had made a soft one.  Really, Luke, I swear I'm not stupid.
I'm sorry to take up your time like that.

> [re remote browse sync]
> what the _heck_ is this parameter???

Supposedly it allows two Samba WINS servers on different subnets to sync
with each other's browse lists.  I don't know if it works. I couldn't get
it to do what I thought it was supposed to.

> add case sensitive = no case preserve = yes short case preserve = yes look
> these up in man smb.conf to check spelling.

> important:
>
> locking = no
> guest ok = no
> delete either public = yes or guest ok = yes - they are identical see
> man smb.conf :-)

These changes made all the difference once I'd gotten everything else to
work.  I've suggested to jerry to include them in his faq since I didn't
see it in any of the documentation.

Thanks again,
Tavis