password API needed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Tue May 12 18:01:08 GMT 1998

> Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this how NT does it.

they have string pointers and such.  the string is either empty or NULL if
the option is not set in USRMGR.EXE.

> I am referring to account information, not policy settings such as
> account lockout for failed login attempt, etc...

me too.

i like your idea of putting default options [from smb.conf, please?] the
first time if there is no entry in the private/samdb file.  that way, all
the user lp_xxx() options could be retired, and a separate "user
management" utility created to edit private/samdb.

> > In my view, one of the beauties of Samba is the flexibility of
> > smb.conf.%U, etc. -- I don't see a problem with allowing that option
> > for crazy sysadmins who want to set user information that way.
>
> Agreed.  Flexibilty in a piece of software is a beautiful thing.  But
> the maintainability of the software configuration is well worth the
> effort in planning the initial install.
>
> I'm still going to stand my ground and say don't put user information in
> smb.conf.  Another configuration file with the default information would
> be OK, but I think the more effecient route would be to put the default
> information in when the account is created.

agreed.