Problems with ntdom

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue May 12 17:04:30 GMT 1998

Chris Bray wrote:

> So, I've been running the samba pdc code on my Sparc5 (Solaris 2.6)
> without any problems for quite a while, had several machines connected
> up as part of the domains, roaming profiles, etc, etc...it worked
> great...even made an almost daily ritual of updating my source tree
> from the main cvs tree as well...
>
> But starting late yesterday (after updating my code), everything
> stopped working.  It compiled fine, but I don't show up in the network
> neighborhood, my nt workstation won't log in properly (uses locally
> cached profile instead of the roaming one), and I can't find the computer
> on the network neighborhood anymore (from multiple machines).
>
> I updated the code again today via cvs, recompiled and same thing.
> My conf files haven't changed, nor have my starting scripts.

Well the main branch had a *major* update yesterday, as I
excised the following functions from the tree :

sprintf
strcpy
strcat

as I wanted to make *sure* that some gimboid didn't give
us the same pain we've just gone through with the 1.9.18
branch by announcing an erroneous 'security hole in Samba'
message on BugTraq, when (a) there was *no* published exploit
code and (b) the published analysis was wrong - the worst
you could do was crash your own smbd, not gain root.

I'm making *sure* this doesn't happen again. Get a debug
log with smbd & check I haven't broken anything too
badly (I did a check here, and everything seemed to be
ok, which is why I checked in the code).

Let me know what you find.

Jeremy.