password API needed

William Stuart william at hae.com
Tue May 12 16:58:49 GMT 1998

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> questions like: do you think it's a good or a bad idea to add more
> NT-SAM-like parameters to smb.conf, like "kickoff time" and "domain
> workstations", bearing in mind that these may have to go down to the
> granularity of a per-group or per-user basis?

IMHO, these are lower priority items, maybe even ver 2.1 items.  I don't
usually work on sites that require this level of security.  I do believe
though that these things should be supported eventually so that you can
advertise a "fully functional" PDC.

I don't quite understand the need for multiple smb.conf's here.  These
options should be supported regardless of entries in smb.conf.  For
example, kick off time should kick off the user (in some gracioius way)
regardless of entries in the smb.conf, except for maybe a "use kickoff
time = no" in the globals section.

In regards to the domain workstations entry, this should require an
smb.conf either.  It should simply keep a list of workstations the user
can login to.

I think you mentioned a home directory entry in a eariler post.  Is there
a similar entry for profile location?  This could be a neat option.  You
could have UNIX homes in a different place than SMB homes.  I am assuming
that you could specify a SMB mount point in this field.  This would enable
a design where you have a machine as PDC and another handling all file and
print without NFS.

sampasswd is probably where modem_users should be kept as well.  Have a
field containing a BOOL that determines wether this user can dialin.

One final, minor note, sampasswd and smbpasswd are too alike in name...
Might I suggest saminfo or samdb.

William