Problems with smbpasswd-program

Philipp Grau phgrau at mail.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de
Mon May 11 11:26:45 GMT 1998

Hello,

i have some troubles with the current smpasswd program,
here some output:

root at samba:~# smbpasswd root test
smbpasswd: Failed to open password file /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.
smbpasswd: Address already in use.

root at samba:~# ls -l /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
-rw-------   1 root root    18767 May 11 11:05 /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

root at samba:~# grep root /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
root:0:[...]:[...]:root:/root:/bin/bash

when I try is as root for for another user: same problem

When I try this for a maschine which is in /etc/passwd:

root at samba:~# smbpasswd -a -m bs8
smbpasswd: Failed to open password file /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.
smbpasswd: Address already in use.

"user at samba:~$ smbpasswd" runs fine!!

What am I missing???
Any hints??

\bye
Philipp