Do I need the main distribution or the main branch?

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu May 7 03:39:43 GMT 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> I'm getting ready to install Samba on a Solaris 2.5.1 box here to make
> some directories on that machine accessible to our PC users. The PC's
> are all running NT 4.0 Workstation, in a single domain. The new Samba
> machine will not be a PDC or a BDC, but will need to act as a member
> server for transparent authentication purposes.
>
> Given this scenario, is there anything in the current main branch code
> that would be a compelling reason to use it instead of the current main
> distribution code?

Wait until 1.9.19 series when the "security = domain" code is finalized.
Your hope for the moment is to use "security = server" mode.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )