Do I need the main distribution or the main branch?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Wed May 6 22:58:24 GMT 1998

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> I'm getting ready to install Samba on a Solaris 2.5.1 box here to make
> some directories on that machine accessible to our PC users. The PC's
> are all running NT 4.0 Workstation, in a single domain. The new Samba
> machine will not be a PDC or a BDC, but will need to act as a member
> server for transparent authentication purposes.
>
> Given this scenario, is there anything in the current main branch code
> that would be a compelling reason to use it instead of the current main
> distribution code?

Yes - the support for security=domain.

By setting this (not in the docs yet, search the
email archives for info on setting this up) you can
add the Samba machine to the domain, and all the
user authentication will be done to the PDC (or
list of DCs) in the same way that NT does it.

You then don't need an smbpasswd file, just the same
userlist in /etc/passwd as you have on the NT PDC
(and they don't have to have the same/any passwords).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.