Version Confusion

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Sun May 3 21:15:33 GMT 1998

I've been confused in reading the archives about what's supported in
different releases/branches and I'm wondering if somebody can help.

(1) There was a message a short while back that the BRANCH_NTDOM code has
been integrated into the main branch.  I have 1.9.18.p4 running, but this
version does not recognize the "domain sid" parameter, and NT
workstations cannot find it as a domain controller, so I assume the
support is not included in this version.  Is there a pre-alpha of the
main branch code that has this support built in, or will I still have to
download the BRANCH_NTDOM code?

(2) I extracted the NTDOM code using cvs and the instructions in the file
CVS_ACCESS.txt in the docs section of the 1.9.18p4 release (by the way,
these are different from the instructions in the faq at
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw/samba_ntdom_faq.html
and the former seem to be the correct instructions; the latter seem to
describe how to update the main branch code).

I found that it wouldn't compile; when it was linking smbd, I got an
error that the symbol _getsmbpass wasn't defined:

Linking smbd
collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
ld: Undefined symbol
   _getsmbpass
   _strtoul
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `smbd'

[by the way, I'm running a Sparc with SunOS414]

I then added  getsmbpass.o to the libraries in my Makefile, as described
in a previous post, and it got past that hurdle.  But then it stopped
(next line) because the symbol _strtoul wasn't defined.  I couldn't find
any files in the source code with an even vaguely similar name, so I have
no idea what changes I need to the Makefile.

Does anyone know how I can correct it?  Why are these problems ocurring?
Is the code for the NTDOM branch older and therefore previous to some bug
fix?  I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Tavis