Samba 1.9.18-NTDOM login failure - Domain not available

Gerald Heinig heinig at hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Mar 31 18:26:00 GMT 1998

Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> Gerald Heinig wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I got the latest CVS version of Samba - NTDOM (I got it on Friday the
> > 27th March - yesterday..), compiled it (with a few modifications to the
> > Makefile) and got it up and running. I tried to do a NT domain logon
> > from an NT box and at first got the message "Successful login", or words
> > to that effect (we have the german version of NT). However, after an
> > interval of maybe 5-10 seconds I got the message "Domain unavailable" or
> > rather, the german equivalent. It seems to me that one or two people
> > have actually managed to log in, judging by the postings, or maybe I got
> > something wrong...
> > Just so there´s no mistake: I tried logging in to the NT workstation (v
> > 4.0) with a user name that is NOT defined on the workstation, but
> > defined on the UNIX (Solaris 2.6) server running Samba. (The user is in
> > the smbpasswd file, with a valid password, the smb.conf has password
> > encryption turned on, as has the NT box).
> > It seems to me that I´m *very* *nearly* there, since the workstation
> > says "successful login" but then complains about the domain being
> > unavailable.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Gerald
>
> Did you ever get an answer on this?

Yes, I did ..... from myself :-) :-)

The problem was the netmask on the Solaris box: I had a netmask defined for a
B type net ie. 255.255.0.0 and the NT box was (correctly) defined as
255.255.255.0 type C. In my experience this doesn´t usually bother UNIX
systems, but NT is rather finnicky here. Before we all start cheering about
the Microsoft TCP/IP implementation, though, I might add that NT behaved
*very* strangely. It sometimes managed to see the Samba server first time,
sometimes second time round, occasionally never... etc...  The correct
behaviour should be either it works fine ALL the time or it doesn´t work ALL
the time.

....and the hack goes on....

Gerald