Solaris Samba-Server with NT-Clients

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Mar 31 04:42:32 GMT 1998

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Frank Berger wrote:

> Have you (or anybody else) ever tried to leave the authentification to an
> NT-Server ?
> (And ONLY that - and ONLY for the time samba being developed !) ;-)

We make our users' change their passwd from a unix box which propagtes to
changing the smbpasswd file.  The password files are therefore in sync
with no real extra effort.  For now changing your passwd from an NT box is
unsupported.  This is still in the very early stages though.

IMHO having the NT accounts and unix accounts all on the unix side makes
passwd sync somewhat of a non-issue ( i know I'll get some comments on
this on ;) )

Some of our users will nevet use an NT box so there's no reason to give
them another account to keep up with.  For those that need NT access
thought, they simply change their passwd and viola!

I will say that our process work in theory.  Still very new and working
on some stability issues on the server process side.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )