NT4(SP3) and corrupted SAM files.

Bernard Grymonpon bernard at zeus.rug.ac.be
Fri Mar 27 13:51:50 GMT 1998

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Bernard Grymonpon wrote:
>
> > I've encountered a very strange thing. I have installed the Samba
> > Nt-domain, and everything works fine. The domain is there, i can log in,
> > ..
>
> which version?  where did you obtain it from?   what system are you using?
> what compiler?  which version of the compiler?  please also attach your
> smb.conf file.

samba version 1.2.18p3, (obtained as samba-latest from the
samba.anu.edu.au ftp site) i am using debian (kernel version 2.0.33). I
use the gcc compiler 2.7.2.1.

> _then_ we can answer your question :-)
that would be helpfull... :-)

[snip snip]
to see the problem, look some messages back, the mail would come to
long...
I is just that when i log in incorrect, the SAM-file on the NT machines
are corrupted... (so the administrator cant log on locally...--> problem!)

Thanks
Bernard

Bernard at zeus.rug.ac.be		Student University of Ghent

Here is my smb.conf file : (cutted out the comment and the not used
parameters, so those who are not mentioned are the default).
The commented parameters are the ones i doubt about...

------start smb.conf------
# info: the server name (location of this smb.conf) is xxx.xxx.41.37
[global]
   workgroup = PDCZEUS
   server string = Samba Server (Einstein)
   hosts allow = xxx.xxx.41. 127.0.0.1
   load printers = no
   security = user
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>
  encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   local master = yes
   os level = 33
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain controller = no
   domain logons = yes
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   wins support = yes
;   wins server = xxx.xxx.41.37
;   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no

 domain sid = S-1-5-21-123-456-789-123
 domain hosts allow = xxx.xxx.41.32 xxx.xxx.41.38 xxx.xxx.41.34
 debuglevel=4
 domain admin users = bart bernard

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories